Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Make Cardio Fun!

Cardio does not need to and shouldn't be boring. Strength training is definitely a top priority for women who want to tone up and look amazing but having a good cardio fitness it just as imporant for a healthy heart and body.

Unfortunately  so many people associate cardio with a boring mind numbing walk or long distance run when it really doesn't need to be.

  I love incorporating cardio into my weekly routine and do so about 3 times a week in a  fun high intensity session. My heart rate stays elevated and in total i Burn around 500 calories per session. Each session is different so I'm never bored! HIIT cardio is not only funner than steady state cardio but also a lot more effective for fat loss. I wanted to write this post to share a few of my tips that make my cardio session exciting and something I look forward to!

-  Do HIIT cardio instead of steady state cardio. This may be in the form of a circuit combining different exercises like skipping, box jumps, burpees, sprints and other fun body weight exercises.
- boxing Is another super fun form of cardio that is very effective for fat loss , co-ordination, speed and fitness.
- if I do do steady state cardio i listen to podcasts that focus on subjects I want to learn more about. They are usually on  sports science and nutrition which is something I'm extremely  interested  in and love to learn about . Listening and learning while I do cardio makes the time go WAY quicker!
- I wear a heart rate monitor which connects to an app on my phone telling me how many calories are burnt from my heart rate being elevated.
- If to sunny I'll go outside for a beach walk or stair runs instead of being inside. Being outside with nature and the sun makes me a lot happier then a treadmill.
- but if I do do cardio inside I will mix up the machines  I use. Going on a high incline on the treadmill, stationary bicycle and stair master are my favorite.
- set myself a calorie goal on my heart rate app and work towards hitting that in that session. Instead of just doing 40 minutes of cardio, I'll aim to do 500 calories worth of cardio.

✌️

What do you currently do for cardio?
Let me know any other tips you have!


No comments:

Post a Comment